John Denham MP, who chaired the meeting, summarised viewpoints aired by the community, saying: "We have actually had enough as things are at the moment. Whatever happens, we're not prepared to accept that it should get worse."
There was broad agreement when he concluded the meeting, noting what needs to happen now:
- We all need to write to the airport. Don't rely on your neighbour: we need them to feel the weight of opinion. Copy your letters to Southampton City Council and Eastleigh Borough Council (there's an updated list of contacts here, and a draft letter here (pdf download) if you don't want to write your own).
- The community expects Southampton City Council to be in there, fighting on our behalf, 100%
- The community expects John Denham to take this to government, and to say this cannot happen: the damage will be too great.
The meeting also heard from:
- Rob Creighton, from Southampton City Council
- Nic Ferriday, from AirportWatch
- Caroline Lucas, Green Party, MEP for the South East Region
- Councillor Adrian Vinson, Leader of Southampton City Council
More reports from the meeting soon on bitternepark.info
Read the full closing speech here
Eastleigh Borough Council - Full council meeting
Telephone: 023 8068 8068
More info here
In the news:
The Southern Daily Echo today reported on its front page how a plane 'sucked tiles' from a local resident's roof.
Praise for Southampton Airport from Eastleigh MP Chris Huhne
Tim Knight, Hampshire County Councillor Executive Member for Environment, on the airport